The Church stands close to the river on the highly scenic Lancaut peninsula and it is thought to have an early Celtic origin. For centuries it was a parish in its own right and owned the rare and spectacular lead font that is now in Gloucester Cathedral.
Access and parking: Lancaut Lane starts at (NGR ST 544965), a turn off the B4228 just before the north end of Wintour ‘s Leap. There is a small amount of parking after 200 yards, and more at the far end of the lane. There are two paths to the Church, but please be aware that both are uneven and steep in places. The steepest descends from a point about 500yds along the lane, by an information board. The second, more accessible route, is from the end of the lane, diagonally down a field, passing a huge oak. There will likely be signs.
For over 100 years there has been a bandstand at the Scar, in the woodland between Milkwall and Sling. The bandstand was originally built in 1913 by the Milkwall and District Charity Committee.
An annual ‘Hospital Sunday’ event was held at the bandstand during the summer months. Various bands would march from different starting points in the Forest to the bandstand.
Local dignitaries would give speeches, the bands would play and money was collected from the crowds attending. The money was distributed to the local needy and to local hospitals in Bristol, Gloucester and Monmouth.
The ‘Hospital Sunday’ event ran for many years, attracting crowds of up to 4000 in its heyday. The introduction fo the National Health Service in 1948 led to the demise of many ‘Hospital Sunday’ schemes.
In the 1980s, the Scar bandstand was moved and rebuilt in a new location lower down the hillside. The photograph below shows the current bandstand. Unfortunately, little use is now made of it.
Do you have memories of bands playing at the Scar? Would you like to see the bandstand in use once again? Please comment by clicking on the ‘reply’ button above!
SATURDAY 18TH JULY AT LYDBROOK MEMORIAL HALL
Exhibition, Talks & Refreshments from 10'30
Theatrical Screening at 2.00pm
Please note the change of time for the walk scheduled for Sunday 12th July, meeting at Ruardean Church. The walk will now start at 10’30 rather than the advertised 14’30. The walk will be led by Simon Moore (FODLHS Chairman) and Cecile Hunt. The walk around Ruardean will include a visit to Ruardean Church.